Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Thursday 13 September 2012

On Flickr I'd like to be able to select 'show this photo' v 'keep in reserve'


I've lots of holiday photos from my trip to Orkney that I'm uploading Flickr. Some are passable, plenty are probably just for completists only ;) I tend to take an 'upload them all and sort them out later approach', especially when on sporadic wifi (the iPhone Flickr app is *really* good at uploading stuff I've noticed).

Some of the ones that are neither good nor bad are perhaps still of some interest if they're of some obscure bit of technology (I've taken a lot from the Orkney Wireless Museum for example), or provide some detail missing in one of the others - but I'd like to 'hide' them from the main 'set' or mosaic of pictures while still making them available.

So I don't want to make them private, or delete them - I want them there, but available to anyone that wants to see them.

I'd like to be able to pick out eight of the best and say 'show these 8, but don't "promote" these 14'. Whoever might like to look at my photos might see the selected 8 and be more than satisfied with those but anyone who's thinking about going to the museum or interested in grainy shots of old tech might like to see more.

There are many options available at every conceivable level of granularity (ie you can do something to one photo, to a group of photos [set] or a [collection] of sets) ... except, as far as I can see, this one.

Basically I want to fling all my photos into the vat and pick out a few to pin to the wall above it leaving others to rummage in the vat if they want. Is that possible?

1 comment:

  1. Person that I'm not sure if they're a spammer asks: "Do you generally pay much attention to optimizing your posts for search engines?"

    I don't pay a great deal of attention no, but sometimes I add a tag here or there that might help, but it's kind of second nature.

    ReplyDelete

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).