Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Friday 19 April 2013

#CS CPD for teachers preparing to teach Computing at GCSE or beyond - 10wk course at QMUL w Python & Raspberry Pi

Edit 20 May - not sure why but this post is suddenly receiving a lot of hits. If you're a teacher wanting to get to grips with anything to do with the Computing curriculum in the UK please keep an eye on Computing At School's (CAS) website in particular its events page which has all sorts of free and low-cost events on Python, micro:bit, crumbles, computational thinking etc -
all events
official CAS events

Original post continues below...



I discovered yesterday that some of my colleagues are running this, finger on the pulse me ;)

Rather tempted to do the course myself but alas I can't because I'm not a teacher - although I'll see if I can persuade them to run one for randoms like me.

ONLY FOR TEACHERS not for Jos...

Have copied and pasted the text below.

Programming and more: CPD for GCSE computing
http://computingcpdspring13-eorg.eventbrite.co.uk/#

Queen Mary, University of London

Runs on Wednesdays 4.30pm-7pm (BST) from 8 May 2013 - 17 July 2013

London, United Kingdom


This course is for teachers preparing to teach Computing at GCSE or beyond. The course focuses on programming using a textual language and on understanding the essential concepts of the workings of a computer.

The course will run for ten weeks, excluding half term. Each session will last for 2.5 hours, from 4.30pm to 7pm. It will take place in the ITL Building at Queen Mary, University of London, E1 4NS.

The main course language is Python, a popular language in schools. Programming will be taught from scratch but we recommend that you should have tried at least a little programming beforehand (for example, using Scratch, Kodu, Alice or a similar tool). The ideas you will learn using Python will be applicable to other languages; we will make some comparisons.

Highlights include:
  • The course fee includes a Raspberry Pi for each teacher to keep, used for practical programming both during the course and in your own time.
  • The course is supported by practising school teachers who will be available to answer questions about classroom practice.
  • The course leaders are from Computer Science at Queen Mary University of London, the home of cs4fn, a respected resource for teachers and students about computing. As well as teaching undergraduate computer science, they have experience of talking in schools and producing fun computing activities for students.
  • Material will be available on QMUL’s VLE, which is accessible from anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).